The European demolition Association, EDA, in partnership with the Committee for European Construction Equipment, CECE, organize a Think tank under the title “Equipment for demolition”, on October 10, 2018, in Brussels (Belgium).
This Think tank is the 3rd edition after the Think tank about “Recycling and end-of-life of construction products”, held in 2014 and in 2016 the one called “The next ten years”.
The EDA Think tank is an open workshop, where we do an exercise to look ahead and try to understand how the future will be like, in this case for specialized demolition contractors and suppliers.
The Thinktank 2018 took place at the Headquarters of the Belgium Confederation of Demolition and Dismantling Works, CASO.
The think tank, with its debate session and presentations, was held in English only.
General themes of the think tank
- How are the demolition, waste management, recycling and deconstruction activities changing the industry?
- How are the legal and technical requirements changing the way in which demolition is done?
- What kind of equipment (carriers, attachments, and other tools) do the demolition industry need? Who can develop them and when will they be available?
- How are the business models changing for construction, demolition, and waste management activities?
- Will demolition change to become a reverse building, deconstruction or step-by-step dismantling process? How will this affect the contractors and suppliers related to the industry?
- Ownership vs rental: how to combine both options on a sustainable way for the industry?
Wednesday – October 10th, 2018
08:30 Accreditation of participants
09:00 Welcome by Francisco Cobo, President of the European Demolition Association, EDA
09:15 Debate session 1 – Carriers: Excavators, high reach equipment, robots and other special machines purpose-built for demolition and/or on-site waste management
Session to be moderated by Riccardo Viaggi, CECE Secretary-General
Presentation of trends in the European demolition industry by Jose Blanco, EDA Secretary-General
- Stefano Panseri, DESPE DEMOLIZIONI SPECIALI, General Manager
- Gilles Ronnet, CATERPILLAR, Demolition Product Application Specialist
- Kai Salmi, DELETE, Demolition Director
- Stuart Blackham, KOMATSU, Senior Manager Design
- What are the key issues/challenges today for manufacturers and contractors, regarding carriers for demolition?
- How are the requirements/needs of the job sites changing the way in which demolition carriers are used? How could/should the manufacturers adapt to this new scenario?
- What other factors should be considered when using or designing carriers for demolition work (f. i. requirements for engines)?
- What will a demolition contractor need in the future for its demolition carriers? How will the future carriers look like 10 years from now?
10:45 Coffee break
11:15 Debate session 2 – Attachments: Primary, secondary, multitool, shears, grapples and other purpose-built attachments for demolition and/or on-site waste management
Session to be moderated by Jose Blanco, EDA Secretary-General
Presentation of trends in the European Construction Equipment Manufacturers bySebastian Popp, CECE Secretary Statistical Commission
- Daniel Dupuy, ARDEN EQUIPMENT, Sales and Marketing Director
- Patrick Frye, CARDEM, Technical Director
- Wolfgang E. Hohn, EPIROC, Product Manager
- Luca Nutarelli, UNACEA, Secretary General
- What are the key issues/challenges today for manufacturers and contractors, regarding attachments for demolition?
- How are the requirements/needs of the job sites changing the way in which demolition attachments are used? How could/should the manufacturers adapt to this new scenario?
- What other factors should be considered when using or designing attachments for demolition work (f. i. quick couplers)?
- What will a demolition contractor need in the future for its demolition attachments? How will the future attachments look like 10 years from now?
13:00 Closing remarks by Riccardo Viaggi, CECE Secretary-General
A light lunch was served after the think tank to encourage networking and collective thinking.
Conference Book – consult the document
If the EDA Think Tank 2018 was interesting for you, we kindly invite you to participate in EDA.