In 2021, the European Demolition Association (EDA) partnered with large-scale demolition contractors, asset owners and industry specialists to create a multi-national workgroup focussed on the end-of-life preparation for industrial facilities.
The main purpose of this document is to provide a general overview of basic aspects of the end-of-life of industrial facilities. Our goal is to put together some of the best practices, basic references and useful recommendations from industry, and to develop a practical guideline that highlights the main challenges, risks, steps and solutions to deliver a successful end-of-life demolition project.
On this page, you can find the most important contents of the guide:
What are the main causes for the end-of-life of an industrial facility?
What should be done during the normal operation of an industrial facility to prepare for end-of-life?
- Preparation of the end-of-life of an industrial facility
- What type of machinery and equipment do you have in your facility?
- How much would an immediate deactivation and closure cost?
- Who knows the facility best? Who should be involved in the decommissioning and closure activities?
- What would be the impact of your shut-down on the surroundings and local communities?
How to handle the health and safety of your operation when end-of-life comes?
- What are the main risks when carrying out industrial demolition works?
- What are the main measures of labour protection and occupational safety during industrial demolition?
Unexpected end-of-life of industrial facilities
- What types of major accidents could occur in a facility?
- What type of interaction can you expect between your own personnel, authorities, and emergency response teams?
- What kind of specialist contractor should you consider as a partner?
- What would be the priorities for the decommissioning and closure of your facility?
Scheduled end-of-life of industrial facilities
- What are the main phases you must consider in a scheduled decommissioning and closure process?
- What planning should you consider?
- What should you consider during the procurement process?
- What should you consider during the implementation phase?
- How can you find a specialist?
Access the full document here: