Around 461 millions tons of construction and demolition waste are yearly generated in the European Union and the predominant material constituent is concrete.
But there are not yet technological and business solutions and those construction and demolition waste are mostly landfilled.
Veep Technological Solutions
Veep is a project that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No: 723582.
Its main objective is to develop and demonstrate a series of technological solutions for the massive retrofitting of our built environment, aiming at cost-effectively reducing building energy consumption.
It leads to higher resource efficiency in two novel multilayer precast concrete elements (PCEs), through the combination of concrete and superinsulation material manufactured by using, at least, 75% (by weight) of C&DW recycled materials, as raw materials. The PCE solutions will be conceived both for new building envelope / recladding (PCE1) and for building envelope refurbishment / overcladding (PCE2).
Main expected impacts of the project are:
- CO2 savings (by min. 30 %), energy savings (by min 20%), and higher resource efficiency (minimum share of recycled materials in the final product of at least 10-15%) will ultimately contribute to a resource-efficient and climate change resilient economy
- Creation of new value chains by expanding the size and attractiveness of C&DW recycling and reuse for energy efficient buildings construction and refurbishment, properly tackling non-technological barriers
- High replication potential of the solutions obtained, with the possibility to export EU technology worldwide
- Contribution to achieving the objectives of the European Innovation Partnership on Raw Materials, in particular to the relevant impacts shown in Action I.5 “Recycling of raw materials from products, buildings, and infrastructure” of the Strategic Implementation Plan
- Contribution with viable technologies that have the potential to significantly change practices of the construction industry towards circular economy practices
- Improvement of innovation capacity of the construction sector to stimulate new growth and jobs creation