IRCOW stands for Innovative Strategies for High-Grade Material Recovery from Construction and Demolition Waste.
The IRCOW Project
The main goal of the IRCOW project is to develop and validate upgraded technological solutions to achieve an efficient material recovery from C&D Waste by considering a life cycle perspective.
The innovation beyond the state-of-the-art will focus on:
- Developing new approaches and models aimed at raising the rate of reuse components.
- Developing and adapting recycling technology with the overall purpose of improving the quality of C&D recycled materials: recycled aggregates, wood, plastics, granular gypsum from mixed streams and emerging waste materials.
- Developing high-grade construction products by using C&D recycled materials; not only those related to the stony fraction but also the other fractions where there is currently a strong knowledge gap.
- Demonstrating results under real conditions with the aim of providing potential stakeholders with information on global performance.
- Setting the basis for specific European policies on C&D waste aiming at fostering a high and efficient level of material recovery.
To accomplish IRCOW objectives, the project is structured into 7 work packages and 5 in-field case studies.
Three of the work packages focus on the development of new management schemes, separation technologies and products that are needed to significantly increase the reuse and recycling rates of C&W waste in the EU.
The outcomes of the three technological work packages will be assessed and validated from an economic, environmental and toxicological point of view, by using both Life Cycle Assessment tools and case studies throughout Europe.
The involvement of industrial stakeholders (both industrial companies and associations from the construction and recycling sector) and national and regional authorities ensure the relevance and applicability of the project results. Moreover, the stakeholders will be involved in deriving recommendations for changes in policies aiming to remove obstacles in C&DW management.